I live with my mom and only have one shower. She has shingles and I've never had chicken pox, can I catch it from her by sharing the same shower?

Dr. Philip Schwarzman
Emergency Medicine

In brief: No

You would have to come in contact with the fluid that is in the blister caused by the shingles.

In brief: No

Dr. Philip Schwarzman
Dr. Philip Schwarzman

In brief: Maybe

Most (96%) adults show serum evidence of prior chickenpox, and most born in the 1990's had the chance to get the vaccine.
If you are the rare exception, you might get Cpx from exposure to mom's wound debris if it is not inactivated by the time you shower. A steamer could easily inactivate any viral particles that survived a shower.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Vikram Patel