I have a mold allergy, how can i tell if my books have mold/spores? Will i be able to see it?

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Mould loves the damp

If you've stored your books improperly, you may have set yourself up for an environmental issue with mould.
You can often find evidence of mould if you know what you're looking for. There are thousands of different kinds of moulds, and some indeed will grow on paper-look for the signs of dusty spores, fungal elements, even the 'smell'. Bring a sample to a librarian or try a UV lamp if ur not sure.

In brief: Mould loves the damp

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Look & smell

Does the paper look stained or damp? Is there a musty odor? I assume that you have not seen the mold itself.
Exposing the books to sunshine for a few hours may be helpful. Molds usually produce pigments and can be seen but the spores are microscopic.

In brief: Look & smell

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Keegan Duchicela