Does a flexible sigmoidoscopy detect bowel cancer?

Sigmoidoscopy. This procedure looks only at your lower bowel in contrast to a colonoscopy that should look at your entire bowel. All the best sorting through this.
Yes, but... ...only in the left colon. The exam does NOT reach beyond the splenic flexure, and thus any cancers located proximal to that point will be missed by this limited device. Although far from a perfect test, the gold standard remains optical colonoscopy performed in the setting of a perfect preparation by an experienced endoscopist with expert technique reaching the cecum.