How can I teach my baby to latch?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Consult
1st make sure that the baby is truly hungry.
Then if still a problem, consult with your pediatrician and a lactation consultant.

In brief: Consult
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Take your time
Do not rush the situation.
Relax. Take a deep breath. First get in a comfortable position and hold your baby without feeling like you are in a struggle. Get your baby right up to your nipple and areola so she knows that it is time to feed. Allow your baby to open her mouth wide, get her properly placed, and place your nipple, areola, and breast into her mouth to allow the latch. Practice.

In brief: Take your time
Do not rush the situation.
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
2 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Make sure her tongue is down. Call the nursery at her birth hospital to find a lactation consultant.
Dr. Johanna Fricke