I got a tattoo on my foot. It bled so much he had to stop and control the bleeding before continuing. Is this serious?

In brief: Not usually

Remember, a tattoo involves poking hundreds and hundreds of needle-sized holes in the skin.
The top of the foot (i assume this is where you got the tattoo) can have a number of blood vessels rather close to the surface of the skin. It is certainly possible that one of the needle pokes got a little too deep. As long as the bleeding stopped you should be fine, but i'll bet you get a bruise.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger