What is better for severe lower back pain, cortisone shots or oral steroids?

Both are the same. Cortison shots or oral steroids, one taken by mouth and the injected for faster relief.For acute attack i prefer the injections.
Try Manipulation. Before resorting to steroid shots or systemic steroids, i would strongly suggest finding a do who specializes in treating low back pain with osteopathic manipulation. Many people have obtained adequate relief from omm to be able to take little or no drugs for their low back pain. It might not be the answer in every case, but it's worth a shot before resorting to steroids.
See below. There is no clear answer to this. Sometimes, i will give patients oral steroids for a week if they have severe back pain. Epidural steroid shots work better for people who have severe sciatica pain rather than back pain.