Mother in law had blood work done. B12 came back at 900. Them she was told to see an oncologist. Why is this?

Dr. William Lizarraga
In brief: Not because of this
There must be something else going on.
That is not a high number. Perhaps this was ordered because of anemia or something else. A lot of oncologists also specialize in blood disorders, like anemia, or a low blood count.

In brief: Not because of this
There must be something else going on.
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Hematology-oncology
Many of us, practice as both a hematologist as well as an oncologist- so we do treat people with many types of blood disorders besides cancers.
I think your mother in law probably is reffered to see a hematology/onc specialist perhaps for other reason- such as anemia/ low blood counts or other abnormal blood result. Her vitamin B12 level of 900 is within normal range.

In brief: Hematology-oncology
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Adam Levy