If I am advised to have a mastectomy, what are the risks and benefits of immediate breast reconstruction?

Immediate breast rec. The benefits of immediate reconstruction include the amount of skin available to cover a flap, or implants, the reduced number of surgeries, the psychological benefit, and perhaps, superior cosmetics. The downside is a higher risk of complications, and possible changes in therapy, such as radiation, based on the final pathology, that may affect the quality of the reconstruction.
Significant. Immediate reconstruction is assocaited with wound healing and cosmetic issues, depending on whether muscle flaps or breast implants are used and whether radiation is to be done.
Several. Benefits include less scarring, better cosmetic results, and not having to experience being without a breast. Risks include failure of the reconstruction, infection, bleeding, sensation loss, asymmetry, blood clots, ugly scarring, dissatisfaction with the cosmetic results and need for more surgery. Implant reconstruction risks also include hardening, rippling, rupture, and need for replacement.
Benefits. The biggest benefit of immediate reconstruction is that you have the best chance at creating a natural shape to the breast and having it done in one surgery rather than multiple surgery. Since the majority of the breast skin is left in a mastectomy and the shape loss is limited, there is somewhat of a "blueprint" to work with.
BENEFITS>risks. Almost all women who require a mastectomy may be given the option of reconstruction. The major benefit of immediate reconstruction is avoiding an extra operation and the emotional effects of having no breast. Furthermore, as many as 1/3 of all women who plan on having a delayed reconstruction never bother. Rarely, we prefer to delay reconstruction for follow-up of an aggressive breast cancer.