I have a toe that is red, inflamed and swollen around the nail and a throbbing pain in general. What could this be and should I call a podiatrist?

It sounds like you have an infection or an ingrown nail or both.

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Ingrown/paronychia

When there is trauma to the nail fold either from an ingrown nail, from biting, or any other trauma, bacteria enter the skin and cause an infection.
This is a pretty common problem your family or internal medicine doctor can treat. I advise that my poorly controlled diabetic patients with bad circulation to see a podiatrist if it's really looking nasty. See your doctor soon! good luck!

In brief: Ingrown/paronychia

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Ingrown toenail

You most likely have an infected ingrown toenail.
You should see a podiatrist for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Ingrown toenail

Dr. Jordan Steinberg
Dr. Jordan Steinberg
Dr. Leo Krawetz
I'f you can't get in to see a podiatrist tomorrow, start soaking in white vinegar and water for 15 minutes per day. Apply neosporin to it.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Depends on cause

Some causes of toe swelling can include localized issues such as arthritis, infection, ingrown toe nails, trauma (fracture, sprain, and tendonitis, tight shoes) gout, and side effects to medication.
Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Depends on cause

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine