Are there any hiv/aids preventative shots or meds you can take?

Dr. Lonna Larsh

In brief: Soon

There is no vaccine available, and none is on the horizon yet.
There is a medication that is already being used for treatment that is likely will be approved for prevention. It will primarily be recommended for use in people who are at very high risk for acquiring the virus. Article available here: hhttp://tinyurl.Com/6uqb337

In brief: Soon

Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Lonna Larsh
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: PreP

Yes. We now have a pill that, if taken every days, prevents HIV infection.
This medication is known as Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir). It is a pill. But soon it will also be available as an injection every 90 days. The CDC recommends all sexually active gay men consider it and to discuss this with their doctor.

In brief: PreP

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian
2 comments
Dr. Joram Seggev
Still, the medicatio is not 100% effective and if you don't take it daily itloses its efficacy.
Dr. Robert Killian
Prep is more effective at HIV prevention than every statistic relayed to condoms. That is if taken as prescribed.
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

There is what we refer to as pre-exposure prophylaxis (prep).
I've been prescribing it in one form or the other since my fellowship back in boston since 2001. Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir) is fda approved...But i don't believe its the best agent to use because a lot of people have Emtricitabine mutations (my opinion and observations). Using condums is really the best bet.

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Peter Kurzweil