I stood in front of a microwave in use while looking for something in the shelf above it have I caused damage to my unborn baby?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: Microwave oven=safe

Modern microwave ovens do not emit appreciable amounts of radiation because of their inherant design.
You got very little exposure because of the 'protective grid' on the front of the oven prevents the microwaves at 2, 450 mhz from escaping. Also a interlock switch is used to deenergize the magnetron when the door is opened. Finally the door is sealed.Time to worry only if the door/grid are damaged.

In brief: Microwave oven=safe

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
The energy of the wave is directly proportional to its ability to penetrate: microwaves deliver NO penetrating X or megavoltage energy that would risk a fetus..answered identical question yesterday for TAM82.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: We have answered

This question, and I have received thanks frm the questioner, the other answer is also reasonable, it's probably ok to take it down!

In brief: We have answered

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
No problem. Just glad you are informed and the answers don't confuse things. Best wishes,
Dr. Jonathan Jassey