Is a 5mg tablet of melatonin safe to give an 11yr old child on a consistent basis? She has allergies, asthma, and takes Singular & an OTC allergy med.

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

We don't really know what melatonin does on a growing child.
However it seems that you are trying to treat the symptoms and not the cause. The history suggests that nasal congestion and/or asthma may be the cause for his sleep problem and it is time for you to consider seeing an allergist since not getting enough sleep is just a small part of his problem.

In brief: No

Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Start Lower

I would start with a lower dose of melatonin for a child this age, 1 to 3 mg.
Be sure to limit screen time in evenings, warm bath, low lights, reading in room 30 minutes before bed. Also try baking a turkey breast, and popping four ounce servings in the freezer. Heat up for a snack with some milk one hour before bed. You may be able to wean from melatonin to the natural foods with tryptophan.

In brief: Start Lower

Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
Make sure her asthma is under good control (does not need rescue inhaler more than twice a week) and that her allergy symptoms are not interfering with sleep. Melatonin has not been sufficiently tested to be safe for children over long term.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: My experience has

been different than Dr. Hodge's, but my practice population consists of kids with special needs.
I would start with 5 mg. 30-60 minutes before desired bedtime, continue the dose for 3 months, then taper by 1 mg./month till it's down to none. I've found this strategy more effective than starting a low dose & titrating up. Note of caution: Singulair (montelukast) can cause or worsen anxiety &/or depression.

In brief: My experience has

Dr. Cindy Juster