I did a pulmonary function test what does it mean when my gas exchange levels are only 50%?

Dr. Michael Sanders
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: See below

If you are referring to the DLCO, then there are a number of things that can make that number low.
I would see a pulmonologist. Your history and current testing will be important in decided what the next steps are to determine the cause.

In brief: See below

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: DLCO?

If you are referring to the DLCO value, then you may have some scarring in your lungs.
Need to consult a pulmonologist.

In brief: DLCO?

Need to consult a pulmonologist.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Many causes

I would suggest reviewing the full report with the Respiratory lab and your physician.
The next step may include an imaging study of your lungs, in this has not already been done. There are many conditions which may result in a lower DLCO.

In brief: Many causes

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology