What are the symptoms of postpartum depression?

Dr. Susan Feingold
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Depression & anxiety

The symptoms can include: insomnia and sleep disturbances, sad & depressed mood, lack of appetite, worrying & severe anxiety, irritability and anger, panic attacks, feelings of hopelessness, loss of pleasure and motivation in usual activities, difficulty functioning as usual, overwhelmed and unable to cope with life's demands, and obsessive, distressing thoughts.
Sometimes suicidal thoughts.

In brief: Depression & anxiety

Sometimes suicidal thoughts.
Dr. Susan Feingold
Dr. Susan Feingold

In brief: PPD

I answer as a reproductive psychiatrist: symptoms fluctuate: good/bad/good.
Insomnia, changes in energy, mood, anxiety, arousal level, hope, coping ability. She will sometimes not feel like herself. If any of these are the case: seek help. Ppd harms the infant's brain development. Find specialist: www.Postpartum.Net. You may write to me via healthtap to get help finding a specialist near you.

In brief: PPD

Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Caroline Cribari
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology

In brief: See below

Crying, feelings of guilt, overwhelmed.
Postpartum depression significantly impairs functioning, onset might be delayed for up to a year. Even if hormones are stabilized and routine is there, sx do not resolve, worsen and functioning deteriorates. Untreated sx might lead to suicidal ideation/attempts and post-partum psychosis.

In brief: See below

Crying, feelings of guilt, overwhelmed.
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Clinical Depression

The symptoms are the same as what is seen in what is known as clinical or major depression.
These include depressed mood, changes in sleep and appetite, decreased interests in activities, feelings of guilt, and thoughts of death or suicide. Also, since depression arises after giving birth, there are frequent negative thoughts connected with the baby or the mother's ability to care for the baby.

In brief: Clinical Depression

Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes

In brief: Clinical Depression

In general, clinical depression is essentially the same regardless of when it occurs.
The evaluation should be done by a psychiatrist, and treatment is generally the same as during other times. In my practice, I have prescribed traditional antidepressant medications with excellent results. Nursing while on the medications has not been a concern with my patients.

In brief: Clinical Depression

Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology

In brief: In addition to

Depression symptoms w' postpartum depression includes thoughts of harming the infant and/ or disinterest and difficulty bonding with the child.
It is important to get help ASAP if you think you have postpartum depression.

In brief: In addition to

Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Sue Hall

In brief: Sad and tired

If you find yourself constantly exhausted, unable to sleep, sad at a time when you should be happy with your new baby, not interested in eating, having mood swings, worrying or thinking about harming your baby, you could have postpartum depression.
This occurs in 10-20% of women within the first few months after birth. It's more likely if you've had depression before or are under stress.

In brief: Sad and tired

Dr. Sue Hall
Dr. Sue Hall
Dr. Osman Farooq
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Get checked

If you think you could be having post-partum depression then you should get checked.
It is even more important to get checked immediately if you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or others, especially your baby.

In brief: Get checked

Dr. Osman Farooq
Dr. Osman Farooq
Dr. Cindy Juster