What will a CT scan of chest show vs a chest x-ray?

CT is more sensitive. Regarding the lungs, ct is more sensitive in detection of pulmonary nodules and masses. If done with contrast, ct can also detect vascular issues like aortic dissection and aneurysm . Enlarged lymph nodes are also easier to detect on ct. In general, somethings that are easily seen on ct are difficult or impossible to see on chest x-ray.
Ct. Detects lessions, lymph nodes not seen on cxr , better detail of lung tissue, better resolution. Cxr have a big role , ct is not appropriate for everything, and you get more radiation with ct.