What does high risk HPV mean? I had an abnormal pap test and high risk hpv.

Likely to advance. High risk hpv via colposcopy will usually mean cin iii or worse. If the abnormal pap test has not been followed up with colposcopy where the cervix is looked at microscopically please see your gyn.
You need more tests. If the high-risk hpv was the result on your pap smear, it means that any abnormality on the pap smear itself must be taken seriously and probably followed up by a test called a colposcopy (a view of your cervix through a microscope that allows biopsies to be taken)." high-risk " hpv is a type of the virus, hpv, that can cause cancer of the cervix. Early treatment can prevent a cancer.
Virus. Hpv is human papilloma virus. There are a variety of types, but some we call "high risk" because they are the ones most likely to cause cervical cancer. Fortunately, even with hpv high risk, which is extraordinarily common (80% of the women and men in the us will have it at least once in their lifetimes), the likelihood of developing cervical cancer with regular pap smears is very small.