Can penicillin treat a tooth abscess?

It will help.. .. control the infection, but it does not solve your problem. You still need to see a dentist to address the cause of the abscess, otherwise it will return.
No. Antibiotics are giving to limit the spread of infection until the damaged tooth can be repaired or removed. Pills alone will not "cure" an abscess.
Penicillin is good. if you have a dental abscess or swollen infected tissue. It will take a day or so to work it may stop the pain for a day or up to a week, but unless you get a dental treatment the problem will keep reoccurring, sometimes each time worst than the first. Remember, tooth abscess will not go away on its own and dental treatment is a must.