What could cause pain left side of chest and back?

Many, many things. That being said, ruling out cardiac is the most important thing to do. After that, it could be any number of internal issues, intercostal muscle spasms, reflux, pancreatitis, ulcers, lung issues. If its going all the way through from front to back, this is one of those areas you should have checked out just to be safe rather than assuming its a musculoskeletal issue.
A lot of things. Heart attack (although very unlikely in a 34 year old), pancreatitis, stomach ulcers, infections, hernias, and muscle spams could all cause the symptoms you described.