I have pain where my leg bends in the front of the hip. When I sit and then stand it hurts. I sleep on my side and my hip wakes me hurting.?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Several causes

You may have arthritis of the hip.
Laying on ones aside presses on the trochanteric bursa, and you may have bursitis there. But it also pushes the hip more so, which can exacerbate hip arthritis. Both should be ruled out. There are many more, but these are most common.

In brief: Several causes

You may have arthritis of the hip.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Riney

In brief: Your age is needed

To answer this specifically, if you are over 50 you may have early signs of hip arthritis.
Do you have to put a pillow between your legs in order to sleep at night comfortably on your side?

In brief: Your age is needed

Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine