Is it ok to have alcohol while on gabapentin? I'm on 600mg 4x a day. Lots of conflicting info on the internet.

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: No, its not ok
And i can't find anything on the internet except for warnings about any regular use of alcohol.
If someone asks me if they can have a champagne toast at a wedding, my question would be how many weddings to you go to? Regular drinking on Gabapentin interferes with the drug and increases the chance of over sedation - both work on the gaba system. I wonder if you might have an alcohol problem?

In brief: No, its not ok
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Gabapentin + EtOH
There is an additive effect with the combination of ethanol (grain alcohol) & Gabapentin such that there is increased risk of CNS depression & psychomotor impairment.
Alcohol withdrawl or excessive use can lower seizure threshold. Therefore, best not to combine the two.

In brief: Gabapentin + EtOH
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Diane Minich
In brief: Better not to
Have alcohol while on gabepentin.
Can get weird side effects.

In brief: Better not to
Have alcohol while on gabepentin.
Can get weird side effects.
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Vikram Patel