How do you get cervical cancer? It runs in my family, so what are my chances?

Pathology

In brief: HPV and partners

There are many risk factors for cervical cancer.
Heredity is one. Early age at first intercourse, multiple sex partners, smoking and hormonal status are others. The single most important risk factor is infection with hpv, a sexually transmitted infection. Vaccination to prevent the common cancer causing types of hpv is availabe for girls and young women.

In brief: HPV and partners

Dr. Joseph Schifilliti

In brief: R U Vaccinated?

Most evidence is that it is not an inheritable risk.
Risks do increase with exposure to the hpv virus which typically occurs with sexual activity. The hpv vaccine can decrease the risk. If you smoke, stop. Pap smears can detect and lead to treatment and cure, so get screened.

In brief: R U Vaccinated?

Dr. Joseph Schifilliti
Dr. Joseph Schifilliti