My father is an alcoholic, and I have drank before. Plenty of times. Does it run in my blood? What are my chances of becoming an alcoholic?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: There is evidence of

Genetic transmission of the predisposition to alcohol problems, but that has mostly been shown in the sons of alcoholic fathers.
Many of my colleagues advise anyone with a strong family history of alcoholism to not start drinking, and if they have started, not to continue. While i might not go that far, i would be very aware of development of problems - drink more than intended; loss of control.

In brief: There is evidence of

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Sharon Bass

In brief: High

Alcoholism is a disease and there can be a genetic predisposition for becoming an alcoholic or other drug addiction.
This doesn't mean you will become an alcoholic but it means that the chance that you could are higher than someone without that family history. If you find it difficult to only have one drink, or find yourself drinking and not able to stop, get help.

In brief: High

Dr. Sharon Bass
Dr. Sharon Bass
Dr. Peter Kurzweil