Looks to me like some independent and assisted living and nursing home centers use amenities to please the families. What are things that matter most?

I agree. Many assisted living and nursing home companies choose to provide amenities to please the family members. It is most important to look at the "guts" of a program specifically whether they've been cited for any major deficiencies, and whether they have a special training program for their staff as well as in-house geriatric psychiatrists and geriatricians. Please look at the recreation therapy prog.
Check out Medicare. Go to medicare url for checklist of important questions to ask http://www.Medicare.Gov/nursing/checklist.Asp rather than be blinded by bling.