My dentist just told me that I have oral lichen planus. Is oral LP a precursor to the lichen planus rash on the skin? Also what might have caused this

In brief: It is possible

About 40-45% of patients with oral LP will eventually develop skin lesions? The exact cause of LP is unknown.
However, there is an association with hepatitis c. That would certainly be a very reasonable test to have done. If you are not being followed by a dermatologist i would certainly recommend it.

In brief: It is possible

Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Abe Dumanis
Dentistry

In brief: No

The disease has idiosincratic causes. Avoid hot, spicy food.

In brief: No

Dr. Abe Dumanis
Dr. Abe Dumanis
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Lichen plans

Nobody knows what the exact causes of lichen planus are.
We know it can be triggered by taking certain medications, including thiazide diuretics, antimalarials and phenothiazines (a group of tranquilizing drugs with antipsychotic actions). A significant number of skin specialist doctors (dermatologists) believe it might be classified as an autoimmune disease. A higher-than-normal percentage, hepc+.

In brief: Lichen plans

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher