My son 22 months old has a cold, nasal congestion. Is there any nasal decongestant spray that would help. I am using the saline spray and OTC zyrtec. ?

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: Saline and suction.
The safest and most effective treatment is saline nose drops and suctioning.
Elevating the head of the crib and using a humidifier help, too. Cold and cough medicines are proven ineffective and can have serious side effects, which is why the fda has been taking them off the market gradually. If this doesn't help, your child needs to see the doctor to see if it's more than a cold.

In brief: Saline and suction.
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
You're welcome. I hope he feels better soon!
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology
In brief: Mgt of sx
If the symptoms are related to a virus, and if the congestion is associated with fever, or has lasted three weeks or longer, your physician can evaluate your son for a sinus infection.
I agree that cool mist, nasal saline and nasal steroids help to alleviate inflammation of the nasal passages. If you son is allergic to dust, keeping the bedroom as free from dust, mattress/pillow covers.

In brief: Mgt of sx
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Ratna Dhingra
In brief: Cool mist humidifier
you can use Nasacort--over the counter 1 spray in each nostril once a day for 3-4 days

In brief: Cool mist humidifier
Dr. Ratna Dhingra
Dr. Ratna Dhingra
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology