Took my sublingual testosterone yesterday prior to my A1C test. By doing so will that skew the result by chance?

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: No

The A1c is a measure of blood sugar attached to hemoglobin found in red blood cells.
Red blood cells live 120 days. Factors that affect the A1c test are factors that affect hemoglobin or alter survival of red blood cells, such as anemia, abnormal hemoglobin such as from sickle cell disease, other. Testosterone taken on the day of the A1c test should not affect result.

In brief: No

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: No

Hi. No, testosterone will not skew the A1c test.
Testosterone boosts red cell mass, so it is conceivable that in the right subacute setting, changing red cell mass during the 3 months the A1c reflects, there could be an effect on A1c to skew it downward. I've never seen that reported. But if you're on testosterone chronically or just took it one time before the A1c, no effect at all on A1c.

In brief: No

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Arnon Rubin