I had surgery on my elbow after a fracture on Saturday my hand and fingers are swollen is this normal?

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Swelling beyond the

site of fracture is common especially toward the hand, often we elevate but forget to keep the hand up too.
Motion of the fingers not only helos stiffness, but help reduce swelling. However tight bandages, swelling that cuts off circulation and swelling due to bleedong or infection can occur too. Talk to your surgeon about what is gonf on and make sure that you dont need to be seen sooner .

In brief: Swelling beyond the

Dr. Roy Arnold

In brief: Swelling normal

after surgery. As long as you can move your fingers and feel them being touched, there is no problem. If swelling becomes severe, or fingers lose mobility or feeling, you should seek immediate attention.
Thanks for trusting HealthTap!

In brief: Swelling normal

Thanks for trusting HealthTap!
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine