What causes low platelet blood count?

Numerous Causes. Platelets are a blood component necessary for hemostasis (cessation of bleeding); are produced in bone marrow; activated by blood vessel damage.There are numerous causes for a low platelet count: impaired production (bone marrow, genetic disorders); increased consumption (infections), increased destruction (autoimmune diseases), & more. Evaluation by your doctor is necessary to determine the cause.
Low platelets. Viral syndromes, infections, medications, blood disorders, liver disease, anticoagulants, can cause low platelets.