Is it normal to have pain in upper arm after carpal tunnel open surgery?

No. Pain under the arm after carpal tunnel surgery is abnormal. Although it can be related, it is most likely due to something completely unrelated. See your doctor for an evaluation.
No. Upper arm pain after ct surgery of any type is not normal my be a result of the type of anesthesia ( block) or from the tourniquet place on your arm. If it doesn't resolve in a few weeks be sure to discuss it with your surgeon at your next post-op followup.