Toes hurts. Do I need referral to foot ortho?

Depends. Ask for recommendations from your friends, family and your pcp for a foot and ankle specialist. This may be a foot/ankle orthopedist but this may also be a podiatrist. It is also a good idea to look for a provider that is board certified in their given specialty.
See a specialist . I am partial, but i would recommend a podiatrist. We specialize, only, in foot and ankle problems. There are some orthopedists that specialize in foot and ankle problems also. Dr l.