What does negative result mean regarding small lung nodules?

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Too little info

What was "negative"? Did they biopsy it? Was it a pet scan, was it negative for serial growth on cxr? Ct scan? Negative is not descriptive enough.
Give me more information and i will answer your concerns. Most nodules are not cancer.

In brief: Too little info

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Stephen Siegel
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Not malignant

A negative result by lung biopsy of a small lung nodule means it is not malignant.
Other examinations of lung biopsies are performed to examine for evidence of infection or conditions which might cause lung nodules. A negative result of ct scan on followup exam means the nodules has remained the same or less in size. Lung nodules are followed for 2 years to be sure they do not increase in size.

In brief: Not malignant

Dr. Stephen Siegel
Dr. Stephen Siegel
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology