Is cardiac MRI stress testing safer than cardiac angiogram? I'm really worried about my MRI stress test tomorrow.

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: Yes, since

MRI is relatively noninvasive, and angiogram requires catheterization.
The tests do not provide the same information, however. MRI looks for ischemic or infarcted myocardium, which cannot be readily diagnosed on angiography. Each test has its own limitations and indications.

In brief: Yes, since

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Anita Prakash
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: No

MRI stress testing ought to be safer as it is non-invasive.
Diagnostic angiogram is a relatively low risk procedure within the world of invasive tests, but is higher risk than an MRI stress test simply because it isinvasive, and more things can go wrong. However, having said that it sounds as though you have had a lot of tests already (PET scan, CT scan), you need to see a competent cardiologist.

In brief: No

Dr. Anita Prakash
Dr. Anita Prakash
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology