My shoulder hurts very badly when I try to lift?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Many possibilities

Pain to the shoulder when lifting can have many possible causes, including a strain or tear of any number of muscles, tendons, or ligaments.
Also possible is bursitis of the shoulder, arthritis in the joint, shoulder impingement, or a nerve pain. Best to see your doctor so that an examination can be performed.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Brian Badman
At age 41, the most likely culprit of shoulder pain with lifting specifically overhead is your rotator cuff. Rotator cuff tears can begin to develop after 40 but typically at your age and without a fall or trauma this would be unlikely. Most common diagnosis would be bursitis/tendonitis. I would limit your lifting and stretch. Start some antiinflammatories daily for next couple weeks. Work on posterior shoulder exercises like rows, pull downs or shrugs for a bit. Just your tendon telling you to back down a little
Dr. Vikram Patel