How do I deal with a stepchild suffering from school phobia?

Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: CBT

Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias.
One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

In brief: CBT

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Howard Gurr
Clinical Psychology

In brief: School phobia

School phobia is more common than people expect.
When school phobia starts to interfere with functioning and attendance one needs to act fast. I suggest contacting the school social worker or school psychologist to help figure the cause of the phobia and develop a game plan to help reduce the child's anxiety. Coordination between the school staff, parents and child is essential to success.

In brief: School phobia

Dr. Howard Gurr
Dr. Howard Gurr
Dr. Steven Chen
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Psychotherapy

Consider taking your stepchild to a psychotherapist who is trained in dealing with school phobia.

In brief: Psychotherapy

Dr. Steven Chen
Dr. Steven Chen
Dr. Howard Gurr
I would also suggest you speak to the school psychologist or school social worker and have them help your stepchild learn coping skills to handle their anxiety. They can also act as support for the child and for the teacher. In addition, they may have recommendations for outside therapists who can work with your child and the school.