Is there such a thing as grade school phobia?

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Grade school phobia

Absolutely! for a variety of reasons (unpleasant experiences in school, or extreme insecurity/reluctance/fear of leaving home) can result in school phobia.
Common manifestations are recurrent abdominal pain or headache occuring only in the morning and only on school days (so that the child doesn't have to go to school). . If the problem is correctly diagnosed, behavioral treatment is effective.

In brief: Grade school phobia

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Richard Levenson
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Yes.

School phobia is a severe problem for some children and there could be a number of causes, from fears from experiences there to separation anxiety from parents.
Talk to your school psychologist about school phobias and learn about the two types.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Howard Gurr
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Grade school phobia

Yes, phobias can develop in elementary school.
In my experience school phobia appears most frequently when there is a transition to a new school or new grade. I have seen many phobia responses when children go from kindergarten to first grade and from middle school to high school. School phobia can be a reaction to a problem in the home. School phobia needs to be addressed or it gets worse.

In brief: Grade school phobia

Dr. Howard Gurr
Dr. Howard Gurr