What causes pubic bone pain in pregnant women?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me help

Pubic bone pain in pregnancy is also know as pubic symphysis diastasis.
This is where, usually in later pregnancy, the hormone relaxin causes the pelvis, particularly at the pubic bone, to loosen. In general, this is a good thing as it makes birth easier for mom and baby. However, sometimes the separation is exaggerated and can become quite pain for the mother at the end of pregnancy

In brief: Let me help

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me explain

In brief: Let me explain

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Relaxin

During pregnancy your placenta releases a hormone called Relaxin that softens your connective cartilage; this will allow your pelvis to open during childbirth but can also lead to pain/hip instability/pubic symphyseal separation, which can be painful.
Exercising your stabilizer muscles can help; you may also consider buying a pelvic girdle/belly band for compression/support.

In brief: Relaxin

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine