What is the importance of having a negative blood group?

Dr. James Blachly
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Transfusions

The major importance of being Rh negative (Rh-) is that you could have a severe, potentially life-threatening or even fatal reaction if you received blood from an Rh positive (Rh+) individual.
Rh+ ppl can receive Rh+ or Rh- blood, while Rh- ppl should receive only Rh- blood. The other consequence is in pregnancy. I've run out of space, but Rh- mom and Rh+ baby can lead to problems in future preg

In brief: Transfusions

Dr. James Blachly
Dr. James Blachly
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
I think that the Rh- mom & Rh+ baby leads to fetal death after the 2nd exposure - i.e., mom's immune system has 2 b "primed" by either a prior Rh+ baby or a transfusion of Rh+ blood b4 fetal demise occurs. I think a transfusion reaction to Rh+ blood is much less likely. (Crossmatching will usually screen out life-threatening mismatches like Duffy, Kell, & others but Rh isn't checked- its insignif)
Dr. Adam Levy