What is the meaning of a benign fine needle biopsy of the thyroid?

Thyroid FNA. Assuming the fna sample was adequate and representative of the lesion, a diagnosis of a benign nodule means that it is very likely that your thyroid nodule is not cancerous. It should still be periodically evaluated by your doctor, just to make sure that there are no significant changes.
A great deal. If the fna was of a nodule and the specimen is adequate for a cytopathologist to read there is a great likelyhood that you do not have a cancer. Ask the person who did the fna exactly what he/she meant by "benign".