I stepped on a pin. It punctured my heel. About half an inch went through. Three days have past and it still sores. Do I need a tetanus shot or wait?

In brief: Last tetanus was?

In general you need a tetanus (now TDaP)booster once every ten years.
If you have a penetrating injury and your last tetanus shot was more than 5 years ago you should get a booster. I would not consider the injury you described as at risk if you stepped on a clean pin in your home, If you are still having pain, please be sure nothing was left in the wound, i.e. part of the pin.

In brief: Last tetanus was?

Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
Dr. Robert Grieco
Sometimes even clean penetrating injuries can cause cellulitis. On the heel it might not look read for a while. May benefit from antibiotics prophylactically in the situation.
Dr. Neigatha Graney

In brief: See Your Doctor Now

You may need Tetanus Vaccine which is determined by 1) how long since you last had a shot and by 2) the status of the wound.
Additionally, be aware that puncture wounds have a high risk of developing infection. See your doctor now for correct diagnosis and treatment of your wound and to receive your Tetanus vaccine booster if you are due.

In brief: See Your Doctor Now

Dr. Neigatha Graney
Dr. Neigatha Graney
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine