My dad is having severe abdominal pain since past 3 days ... Ultra sound showed 4mm widening of gall bladder thickness.. Diagnosed with Acalculous Cholecystitis .. Prescribed with antibiotic and analgesic for 5 days.. Will cholecystectomy be necessary ??

Dr. Zeenat Hasan
Bariatrics

In brief: Get a second opinion

Usually people who develop acalculous choelcystitis are very sick and elderly, like ICU patients.
Typically they need to have their gallbladder removed right away if they are healthy enough to tolerate it. 4 mm of GB wall thickening is not very significant. If no stones were found and he is having severe pain, I would make sure something else isn't going on. See a different doctor.

In brief: Get a second opinion

Dr. Zeenat Hasan
Dr. Zeenat Hasan
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology

In brief: If antibiotics don't

help or work, and the pain increases, fever, and other factors get worse, he may need a surgery to prevent against a ruptured gall bladder that can kill a person through spreading infection (peritonitis, or sepsis!) It is nothing to take lightly, and he needs to be monitored closely now for follow up.
So, hope he does well with the current meds. Not out of the woods yet. Good luck!

In brief: If antibiotics don't

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery