How is pheochromocytoma diagnosed?

Options. Signs and symptoms are helpful. The 2 best tests for pheo are plasma fractionated metanephrines or 24 hrs urinary metanephrines and catecholamines. Once these are positive, imagine studies will be used to localize the tumor.
Blood or urine. Catecholamine levels in the blood or urine are used to make the diagnosis.
Blood or urine tests. The diagnosis is made by finding abnormal catecholamines (hormones that elevate pulse and blood pressure) in the blood or urine. Once the diagnosis is made, a ct scan is done to look for the location - 90% are in thew adrenal glands.