I have very dense, cystic breasts. I just had my yearly digital mammogram and it was inconclusive. Should I write my will?

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: No

This means that the mammogram did not provide enough information because your breasts a difficult for the x-rays to penetrate.
Contact your doctor or radiologist to see what is the next step. Most likely you will need a ultrasound as the next step. When you have cystic breasts, it is common to require additional pictures beyond a mammogram.

In brief: No

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: No

Inconclusive or incomplete means that additional imaging is required due to a possible abnormality.
Usually this entails further mammographic views or ultrasound. Most of the time the questionable abnormality turns out to be nothing of concern. Additional imaging is common with dense breasts.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Herbert Duvivier
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Not yet.

Dense breasts often decrease the effectiveness of mammogram.
If there is any concern about the mammogram you could consider asking for an MRI to be performed of the breasts- this may add additional information in helping to determine if there is anything to be concerned about.

In brief: Not yet.

Dr. Herbert Duvivier
Dr. Herbert Duvivier
Dr. Adam Levy