How much does a colposcopy usually hurt?

Dr. Joseph Schifilliti

In brief: Not too much

Well just looking at the cervix is not much worse than a routine exam. Biopsies certainly add some brief pain.
Most patients tell me it was uncomfortable but not too bad. The discomforting parts probably add up to less than a minute of actually performing the biopsies.

In brief: Not too much

Dr. Joseph Schifilliti
Dr. Joseph Schifilliti
Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Not too painful

It's VERY important to get a colposcopy if your pap is abnormal.
A colposcopy is a speculum exam where special stains and magnifying lenses are used to look for pre-cancers on your cervix. If there are abnormalities, your GYN will take a biopsy, which is uncomfortable, but lasts

In brief: Not too painful

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen