Cervical conization- what can I expect? Will I be out?

Dr. Brian Enggano

In brief: Discuss with doctor

Cold knife conization is a procedure in which a cone shaped biopsy of the cervix is removed to treat cervical dysplasia.
No overnight stay is required unless complications arise. You will be put under general anesthesia and the surgery lasts approximately 30 minutes. Your total recovery time varies from 1-2 weeks. The cervix, however, usually takes 4-6 weeks to heal completely.

In brief: Discuss with doctor

Dr. Brian Enggano
Dr. Brian Enggano
Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: Sometimes

A cold cone biopsy of the cervix is a quick procedure & usually done in the or in case heavy bleeding is encountered.
Either a general anesthetic, IV sedation, or a local injection can be used. I prefer a combination of the later two and my patients do very well. They rarely feel any pain & appreciate the short nap.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Adam Levy