I have asthma. Dr prescribed Symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) and resc inh albuterol and to keep taking singulair. Dr said to also use Combivent if needed. is that safe?

Dr. Janet Roberto

In brief: Asthma and meds

You stated "I have asthma.
Dr prescribed Symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) and rescue inhaler albuterol and to keep taking singulair. Dr said to also use Combivent if needed. is that safe? Combivent has albuterol in it. It would be best to use one or the other as needed. Often patients with asthma will use albuterol or Combivent on a schedule then use more often if not covered.

In brief: Asthma and meds

You stated "I have asthma.
Dr. Michael Sanders
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: See below

I would pick either albuterol or combivent, but not both.
There's really no need to do both. Symbicort is good. Singulair is hit or miss.

In brief: See below

Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: YES

Please follow your physician's advice.
The medications should be based on the severity of your asthma.

In brief: YES

Please follow your physician's advice.
Dr. Clarene Cress
Combivent is a dual med that contains albuterol, so it is safer to use one or the other. If rescue med is needed every 4 hours, then combivent may work better or give less rapid heart beat. If rescue med is needed more often than that, please seen a doctor urgently.
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine