Could you need arm amputation from intravenous drug use?

Yers, rare. If one were to get a severe infection from drug injection, rarely an amputation may be needed. If one accidentally injects some caustic drug into an artery, then I have also seen a rare need for amputation. I am sure that for all doctors in the us, an amputation surgery is the final last option used after all other options have failed or all other options have been exhausted.
Possible. If a person develops an infection that cannot be controlled with antibiotics it is possible that the only way to save their life is to amputate the infected limb. Also, if the drugs at injected in the artery instead of the vein it can result in gangrene (death of tissue) requiring amputation.
Yes. I have had to amputate arms from drug users. Dumb reason to lose an arm don't you think?