What does androgen insensitivity syndrome mean?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: XY baby is a girl

Without testosterone (t), all babies develop as girls.
So a child with 1 x & 1 y chromosome, who would normally be a boy, would develop as a girl if no t was present. In androgen insensitivity syndrome, the t is there, but the cells are insensitive to it, and don't respond, so it's as if the t was not there at all. So an xy genetic boy baby is born looking like a normal healthy baby girl.

In brief: XY baby is a girl

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Gurney Pearsall
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: A.I.S. Defined

Androgen insensitivity syndrome (ais) is when a person who is genetically male (who has one x and one y chromosome) is resistant to male hormones (called androgens).
As a result, the person has some or all of the physical traits of a woman, but the genetic makeup of a man.

In brief: A.I.S. Defined

Dr. Gurney Pearsall
Dr. Gurney Pearsall