How can I make sure I am getting good baby shoes?

Dr. Shannon Cole

In brief: Baby shoes

Just pick something with a flexible sole that when the baby/child stands there is enough room for your entire thumb from the toe to the end of the shoe.

In brief: Baby shoes

Dr. Shannon Cole
Dr. Shannon Cole
Dr. Vadim Glukh
for non-walkers the shoes just have to be roomy for toddlers - firm heel counter is good

In brief: Soft roomy flexible

Shoes are just for protection of a baby's feet while he is walking or climbing on dirty, wet, muddy, or sharp/rough surfaces.
Otherwise, shoes are not needed for babies. When choosing a shoe, find one that is soft and very flexible, with some room to grow into.

In brief: Soft roomy flexible

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Shoes

I have always felt shoes are a social phenomenon and babies do not really need shoes.
...Except when outside or needing protection for rough surfaces. They need good gripping surfaces so barefoot in the house is fine. One brand that i found to be rather exceptional (and a bit expensive) are elefanten shoes. They are well made, fit well, and last a long time.

In brief: Shoes

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz