My doctor thinks I have lice but I don't. What should I do?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Look for nits

Nits are found sticking to individual hairs.
They look like tiny bits of rounded clear plastic. These are the eggs of the lice and need to be combed out with a fine tooth comb.

In brief: Look for nits

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale

In brief: Lice

Treatment of lice requires accurate identification of nits & / or lice.
A pediculicide is usually used. There are over the counter products like nix (permethrin) or rid or prescription medications like lindane or malathion. You work carefully through the hair and remove the individual nits. You can purchase a special lice nit comb to aid you. Check for nits & remove as seen over the next 7 to 10 days. If >>.

In brief: Lice

there are any nits after 7 to 10 days – a second pediculicide treatment may be needed. Wash clothing or linens in HOT Water. Soak personal items like combs or brushes in HOT water for at least 10 minutes (or throw them out if this is an option). Vacuum floors, carpets, mattresses, upholstered furniture & your vehicles. You can get a second opinion if you believe that your physician is mistaken.

In brief: 2nd opinion

Either you don't trust the doc, don't like the attitude or don't accept that YOU could have such a problem.It is common enough and most moms & school nurses can diagnose it.
If you don't accept the label, seek out a 2nd opinion. Or a 3rd or 4th.This is a human only parasite that easily passes in hair brushes/combs/garments and if found year round. If you have it, it will stay unless treated.

In brief: 2nd opinion

Dr. Jonathan Jassey