Why do the symptoms of my carpal tunnel syndrome worsen in the morning and right before my period?

All about pressure. Symptoms of carpal tunnel are worse when there is increased pressure on the median nerve as it passes through the wrist. We tend to sleep with our wrists bent, which increases the pressure and causes symptoms at night or early in the morning. You have fluid retention and swelling during your period, which increases pressure as well. Your doctor can suggest tips to reduce or eliminate symptoms.
Hormones. Your menses may influence the swelling in your wrist as demonstrated by the increased incidence of cts in pregnant women. The morning symptoms are not so easily explained.
Swelling. Overnight fluid redistributes from lower ext to upper. This causes wrists to swell and worsen symptoms. When you menstruate prostaglandins are released which can cause swelling and pain.
Swelling. Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by pressure on the median nerve at the wrist and is usually worsened by swelling. Hands tend to swell at night, just like you take on water during your period.